Wednesday, March 14, 2012

To Be Spiritually Minded

Romans 8:5-7: “For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.  6 For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.  7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.”

How do we become spiritually minded?  At salvation, I was made one with Christ – joined with Him in union like a husband and wife.  Since I am one with Him, I now have the mind of Christ.

1 Corinthians 2:16  For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.

But I must access this mind of Christ by walking in the Spirit.  I do not naturally think with my Christ-mind, for my flesh-mind (my old man and sin nature) are still present and at work in me.  I have to access the mind of Christ by faith.

  • The mind of Christ thinks on pure and lovely thoughts:

Philippians 4:8  Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

  • The mind of Christ esteems other as better than myself:

Philippians 2:4-8  Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.  5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:  6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:  7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:  8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

  • The meditations of the mind of Christ are acceptable to God:

Psalm 1:2  But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.

Psalm 19:14  Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

  • The thoughts of the mind of Christ are in captivity to obey Christ:

2 Corinthians 10:5  Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

  • The mind of Christ is stayed upon Jehovah, in perfect peace:

Isaiah 26:3-4  Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.  4 Trust ye in the LORD for ever: for in the LORD JEHOVAH is everlasting strength:

I want to be spiritually minded, not carnally minded!

No comments: